HOW TO TAKE ON A NEW CHALLENGING POSITION IN AN INTERCULTURAL ENVIRONMENT?
Just assigned to a new position in a new country and already facing high expectations of your company! As everything must go fast, you are on the starting block to understand cultural challenges, to handle with headquarter pressures and to adapt yourself to your new position and new personal life.
Hereafter are some tips to be resilient in times of change:
- Draw up rapidly the big picture of the situation (New position, environment, challenges),
- Understand roles and missions of the team,
- Communicate on the blocking points with others international employees who had probably coped with the same situation before and came up with creative solutions,
- Be flexible on setting up rules and processes and adapt your style of management according to your team culture,
- Strengthen your leadership with humility,
- Rely on your team skills and experience to overcome intercultural issues,
- Communicate your interest in the country and in the culture,
- Accept that others don’t have the cultural keys to understand you,
- Inform clearly your hierarchy about projects' feasibility.
Finally, be patient: remember that time concerns are very different from a country to another.