Harmony & Mobility Consulting
HOW TO CREATE YOUR OWN LUCK TO GET A JOB
A lot of people who have found a job make the same observation: they found a job, but they also got lucky.
How can you be the right person at the right place at the right time? How can you be open to serendipity (a chance encounter that leads to a happy conclusion)?
The key point is to recognise and accept opportunities that life brings us.
A project at University College London found that serendipity is more than an accident. Actually, lucky people have two things in common:
First, they realised that an opportunity was being presented to them.
Second, they seized the opportunity and took action.
The difference between the lucky one and the others is spotting and seizing opportunities.
So how can you be more open to serendipity? How can you develop your‘lucky skills’?
- Develop your networking: the more people you are in touch with, the more chance encounters you are likely to have.
- Forget about your daily routine: chance hates routine. Therefore deviate from your usual ways to come across serendipity.
- Be focused: pay attention to what’s happening around you, and be especially curious.
- Anticipate: you must have goals, objectives. After that, chance is like being on automatic pilot. The more you are inspired by a project, an expectation, a very strong desire, the more your automatic pilot performs. Chance favours the prepared mind, declared Louis Pasteur.
- Be cool: “Unlucky people are generally more tense than lucky people, and this anxiety disrupts their ability to notice the unexpected,” says psychologist Richard Wiseman.
So, to find your dream job, get luck on your side by improving your ‘lucky skill’.